Flutter By

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Carter at 9 months



height: 28.75 inches (69%)
weight: 15 lbs., 3 ounces (< 0%)
head circumference: 17.75 inches (44%)

Carter had his well visit on Friday, and we didn't get very good news. He was diagnosed with "failure to thrive". I'm sure there are at least a few different reasons why a child can receive this diagnosis, however, I can only tell you Carter's reason. He is growing in height and in head circumference, but not gaining enough weight. According to his pediatrician, this means that his stomach is shrinking. He has only gained 22 ounces over the last three months (that's just under a pound and a half). I'm not sure what the normal weight gain is for babies at this age, but I do know that it is considerably more than that. The doctor said I shouldn't stop breastfeeding in the winter, since Carter is still receiving my antibodies, which in turn will help him to fight off the flu and other illnesses. He said to add a feeding to his regular eating schedule, but it needs to be formula. Carter goes back in one month for a weight check.

The other piece of bad news is that Carter needs to see a developmental specialist or a neurologist. He will have testing done at USF to determine if he has any developmental delays. Most babies are crawling by the ninth month, and/or pulling up to stand. Carter does neither of these. He doesn't even scoot around (a.k.a. the "army crawl"). He didn't even sit up without falling over until just a few weeks ago. The specialist should be able to tell at our first appointment if there is anything wrong. It's better to find out now, rather than later.

I feel horrible for not thinking that something could be wrong this whole time. I always thought it was just his personality. He is the most chilled, laid back baby ever. He is perfectly happy to just sit and watch the world happening around him.

I'm sure it's nothing too serious, IF it's anything at all. Only time will tell.

On the bright side, he is SUCH a happy little boy! He rarely cries or gets upset, and he is really easy to get a smile out of  :)  We love you, Carter!

No comments: